Friday 29 May 2015

Tutorial#1: Proper priming of your wood board (/panel)

or HOW TO KNOW when NOT to start a painting

I am not big on preparation. I hate the boring stuff. Gesso, undercolor, sketching. If I could, I would skip directly to coloring. BUT. If you are like me, impulsive and rushing, you're more than likely to find yourself with a lot of unfinished business.

So here goes, my exceptional tutorial:

1. You prime your wood panel with gesso. If you are sane, you must put there at least 2+ layers. If you're me, you might leave it at 1. Don't.

So, you prime:

You put the base color:

 You blow-dry (see? impatient altready!)

then you sketch:

and you start painting (values, undertones, etc.)

And just when you're right about here, 
you STOP!
Rubbish, no good, don't finish, throw away!
Why? 
(meaning asides from the obvious mid-process state. 
Well, don't judge by that, they all look kind of freakish until shortly before they're done). 

You stop,
because:

The paint just WON'T lay on the panel. Not like it's supposed to. 
So you can't get the result you must get.
And the panel has all these half-raised fibers that look threateningly wild-spirited, 
If you scratch them, they might come off. 

There goes. Bye-bye to my sweet hours spent so far on this piece. 

Err if you must, dear friends. Or if you wish, learn by me. 

Layers of Gesso: 2+
And don't rush. 

No comments:

Post a Comment